This is one of those cool things in American history that keeps coming up in post-apocalyptic movies. For those who don’t remember the 25th amendment deals with presidential succession. In other words, if the president is no longer able to continue his duties, who takes over for him. The amendment was ratified on February 10, 1967. The amendment really just talks about the vice president taking over for the president. It also goes one step further to say who steps in if the VP is not able to take the presidents place.
It has been used 6 times.
- October 12, 1973 Spiro Agnew resigns, President Nixon nominated Gerald Ford as the new VP, the senate confirmed on November 27 and the house on December 6.
- August 9, 1974 Nixon resigns and Gerald Ford steps in and is President. Ford is the only person to be VP and President without being elected to either position.
- December 19, 1974 Gerald Ford leaves VP position, its filled by Nelson Rockfeller.
- July 12, 1985 Reagan goes in for surgery acting president is George H.W. Bush.
- June 29, 2002 George W. Bush has surgery and Dick Cheney is acting president.
- July 21, 2007 George W. Bush again invokes the amendment as he goes in for surgery and Cheney is acting president.
For those of you interested, I know I was, here is the list of who’s next from wikipedia: